Clean Clothes Campaign is looking for a
Board member Human Resources (HR)
Note: this is a voluntary (unpaid) position.
We are looking for a new member with particular expertise on HR for the board of Clean Clothes Campaign. We are looking for someone with broad organizational experience and preferably with international experience, preferably gained from a non-profit or semi-profit organization.
The CCC/SKC Foundation is dedicated to improve working conditions and supports the empowerment of workers - most of them women - in the global garment and sportswear industry. The CCC global network consists of more than 230 trade unions and NGOs, both in consumer and production countries, which are committed to a shared Global Strategic Framework and cooperate in global working groups, as well as through national and regional coalitions. For more information on our recent campaigns and advocacy work, as well as our vision, mission and principles, you can visit https://cleanclothes.org.
The foundation has been around for almost 30 years and has a special structure: there is no hierarchy, decisions are made on the basis of consensus, and everyone has the same salary. There are 31 employees, of whom 26 work from the office in Amsterdam and 4 from Brussels.
The worldwide network consists of more than 230 organizations and trade unions.
The unremunerated board has, conform the articles of the association, decision-making power in the field of finance and personnel and, in other matters, it follows the substantive and policy choices of the network that are determined during the four-year global meetings.
The organization operates in a very dynamic and challenging environment. This requires both from staff- and board members- a flexible attitude and the skill to improvise. The HR board member is one of the five board members in the board that operates in a collegiate way. The enthusiasm of the employees for the work and the commitment to the garment workers are great; the work is never finished and is done on the basis of strong mutual trust.
Board Member HR of CCC/SKC
The board of CCC/SKC consists of five members. Each member has a focus area: finance, fundraising, marketing, HR, and legal and general affairs.
The HR board member discusses the quarterly and annual HR figures, the annual budget and HR related dossiers in the board meetings. He/she/it also has a role to play in monitoring and if needed improving the different internal HR policies. In this, the HR board member closely cooperates with the HR coordinator. During the year, the board approves certain decisions related to HR. The HR board member has a role in checking the possible HR consequences for the entire organization.
The board is currently not very diverse and welcomes the opportunity to improve this.
- Attend board meetings (4 to 6 times a year);
- Discuss the quarterly and annual HR figures, the annual HR budget and HR related dossiers in the board meetings, together with the HR coordinator;
- Contribute with its HR expertise to discussions on operational, tactical and strategic level;
- Is a member of the International Complaint Committee;
- Is in charge in integrity cases at SpeakUp.
The time required for these tasks is highly dependent on the circumstances. To give an estimate:
- 4-6 meetings per year, these usually last 2.5 hours;
- Preparation time for these meetings is about max. 4 hours at a time;
- Ad hoc tasks between meetings require an average of about 12 hours per year.
- Experience with HR reporting and the analysis of HR information;
- Command of English and Dutch on intermediate level;
- Connecting style of collaboration;
- Knowledge of network organizations;
- Interest in dynamics and decision-making processes in a flat organization;
- Affinity with the objective of the organization;
- Preferably a broad and relevant network;
- Management experience in the non-profit sector is a plus.
Interested parties can contact Metin Akyol, Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Christine Slagt, HR Coordinator, at email@example.com. The application deadline for this vacancy is Friday 13th January of 2023. The motivation letter and CV should be sent in through this link.